Hap Miller and his Sun Valley Lodge Orchestra: It Happened in Sun Valley

Hap Miller and his Sun Valley Lodge Orchestra: It Happened in Sun Valley…a collection of the favorite songs of Sun Valley guests as played by Hap Miller and his Orchestra.

“I’ll Be in Sun Valley” is the new bit by Hap Miller included in this recording, but it is YOU who will be in Sun Valley and right in the world famous Duchin Room as soon as the needle hits the groove. Hap has included other numbers frequently requested in the Duchin Room so that his fans can roll back the carpet and have a Sun Valley party, any time, any place.

You’ll hear the tinkle of glasses and the laughter. You’ll see yourself dancing with your favorite partner and remember the moon shining romantically on the mountains encircling this lovely valley, high in the Sawtooth mountains of Idaho.

You’ll hear Hap give the downbeat to his smiling orchestra—the friendliest orchestra in the world. You’ll remember the time Hap played one of these 25 tunes…just for you.

The seven-piece Sun Valley orchestra includes violin, tenor saxophone, guitar, string bass, accordian, drums and piano. With this combination Hap feels he can use full volume without becoming blatant. “I want the instrumentation to have full sound and rhythm,” Hap says, “but I want people to be able to hear what their friends across the table are saying.”

Hap’s danceable music is an engraved invitation to dance with no R.S.V.P. needed and has turned Sun Valley into one of the dancingest resorts in the world. When Hap plays, guests pack the Duchin Room and request their favorite songs. We hope they are yours, too.

Side 1:

1. It Happened in Sun Valley (Open) (2:21)
  2. Medley: Winter Wonderland/I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm (3:35)
  3. Medley: A Foggy Day/All the Things You Are/Getting to Know You (3:37)
  4. Danke Schoen (2:30)
  5. Alley Cat (2:35)
  6. Medley: Just One of Those Things/Anything Goes (1:57)
  7. La Cumparsita (2:57)
  8. Black and Tan Fantasy (1:32)
  9. Mack the Knife (2:15)

Side 2:

1. I’ll Be in Sun Valley (2:30)
  2. Medley: The Way You Look Tonight/Shall We Dance/I Concentrate on You/This Can’t Be Love (4:49)
  3. Wiener Blut (1:40)
  4. La Ultima Noche (3:12)
  5. Medley: Thou Swell/’S Wonderful (2:58)
  6. The Sun Valley Twist (2:13)
  7. Never on Sunday (2:44)
  8. Mama Yo Quiero (2:24)
  9. It Happened in Sun Valley (Close) (0:45)

Stanal Records S-1010 A & B

This STANAL custom made record represents the ultimate in listening enjoyment. Every aspect of recording has been carefully supervised by Stanal engineers, using the very latest electronic equipment. If this is a stereophonic record, play only on a stereophonic reproducer. If this is a monophonic record, you may purchase it knowing it will play on a monophonic reproducer as well as stereophonic equipment.

Recorded live in the Duchin Room, Sun Valley, Idaho — 1964

(This came from Prairie’s grandfather. He didn’t remember much about it, but we’re guessing it was a souvenir from a trip to the Sun Valley Lodge at some point in the past. It really reminds me of the house band at the lodge in “Dirty Dancing”.)

12 Comments

1. Jim Miller
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Hi, I was wondering how often your grandfather came to listen to my dad. Over the 35 plus years my dad was in sun valley he played for a lot of celebrities and people who enjoyed his music. I don’t know if you know the history of my dad playing in sun valley and how we moved to sun valley. I’d love to talk to you or your grandfather. send me an e-mail if you’d like to. hoping to hear from you soon!!!!

2. Posted February 23, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Hi Jim — unfortunately, we don’t really know anything more than I posted. I’ll pass your note on and we’ll see if anyone still around knows more than that.

We’ve definitely been enjoying the album, though — how fun to get a note from Hap’s son! Thanks much for stopping by!

3. Suzy feltenstein wib
    Posted July 17, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Jim, I hope you remember me! I knew you back in Sun Valley way back when, and I LOVED and ADORED your father. Hap was my hero growing up, and I loved to sneak into the Duchin Room and listen to him play. I remember your mother, Arv, too and Denny. Email me!!! Suzy Feltenstein

4. denny miller
    Posted February 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

hi Suzy…..I remember you too. thanks for the kind words about Dad. My mother wanted me to try and marry you!

5. PETE ETERS
    Posted October 11, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I have two Hap Miller albums on my Ipod. I met Hap in the mid 1950’s along with Brute, Ed Laberdie(sp), Wally and listened to It Happened In Sun Valley. I would love to talk to Jim Miller about his Dad. I am at my parents right now, a Hap Miller Album is framed on the wall, a picture of Brute Hurley, Wally Roth and Fred Turner behind me and a picture of Wild Horse creek is in front of me. Love to talk to you.

6. Posted October 15, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Den - this is your ‘65 SigNu bro that you got a Bell Service job at the Lodge that fall….water and bridges…..wassup??…Buck-Boise 336-3637

7. Pat Duecy
    Posted February 13, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Jim and Denny, I was looking around and found an article which explains in part how Hap got to Sun Valley. Sorry to say no info on how your dad met your mother, or you two,, but at least it provides some insight. What a great era…. http://www.michaelhanscom.com/vinylicious/2009/02/08/hap-miller-and-his-sun-valley-lodge-orchestra-it-happened-in-sun-valley/

Hope you are both well, Denny, was great to see you at the reunion. Pat

8. Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I want to see both you! I have a copy of the vinyl and I need some closure. Please contact me! I live in SV, at Weyyakin, with my two teen beautiful daughters. I would love for them to meet you…

Jaime

9. Posted May 17, 2011 at 8:14 am | Permalink

My daughter sang “It Happened In Sun Valley” this year in a choir performance. I used to tell her that Hap wrote that song the day I was born, that it was about me;) Actually, Hap was playing golf with Paul Harvey that day and just waved hello into the window at St. Moritz, and that’s the rest of the story…. Both of my daughters are very musically gifted. I would love for their grandfather to hear them perform.

10. Kelly
    Posted May 31, 2011 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Some friends of mine wondered across this very same album. Can you tell the value of it or where I might find someone that might know?

11. Pete Peters
    Posted March 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

My father, Bob Peters, passed away March 11, 2012. His funeral was March 16, 2012. Both of Hap’s albums were played at his service. I was alone in the Chapel listening to ” It Happened In Sun Valley” and I was back in Sun Valley lobby listening to Hap. It was Great! I know my father loved it. Hap would play ” My Old Kentucky Home’ when my parents would go into the Duchin Room on their first night back in Sun Valley. Sometimes Hap would play “Louise” for my mother since she was Louis. Brute Hurley took me and my dad fishing up over Trail Creek Summit. He also took my sister and me on a horse back ride or two. Thanks for the great times and wonderful memories.

12. Denny Miller
    Posted October 13, 2012 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Pete……I remember your father Bob….Dad spoke of him fondly. i’m happy you posted a nice remark about the sun valley memories and am glad my Dad was a part of it.