Breakdance

BreakdanceTHE BEST MUSIC FOR BREAKING Learn to Moonwalk, Electric Boogie, Footwork, Headspin & Top-Rock
BONUS INCLUDES DETAILED POSTER & INSTRUCTIONAL RAP ON HOW TO BREAK.

“Break dancing is the combination of gymnastics and free-style street dancing—the marriage of athletics and cool. The kids who break are old enough to have the power and strength necessary but young enough to take it. From Old Style to 1990 action, breaking sets the body up for moves from ballet smooth to high-stress acrobatics. And with the New York City Breakers, you know that the moves will be on and most definitely in check.” — ©1984 Michael Holman

If you have any ankle, knee, back or other physical problems, you should have a medical checkup before attempting the dances described in these materials. Parental supervision is advised for children who attempt these dances.

Freundlich Books will publish in September 1984 _Breakdance and the New York City Breakers_, which will be the complete guide to Break Dancing and the Hip-Hop culture.

The author Michael Holman is America’s leading choreographer and interpreter of Break Dancing.

GLOSSARY TERMS

• BITE-verb- to copy, duplicate or reproduce without consent; to steal ideas from others.
    Ex: “We were doing those steps way before them. They must have bit our moves.”
  • CHILL-verb- to chill, chillout, chillin’, the act of calming down, keeping under control, staying cool.
    Ex: “You, chill out!” “I’m just chillin’!”
  • DOG-verb- to overuse, abuse, spoil through excess.
    Ex: “He dogged his sneakers. They were all critical looking.”
  • HOMEBOY, HOMEGIRL-pronoun-noun- comrade, companion, guys and girls from the neighborhood.
    Ex: “Yo man, let him in. He’s one of my homeboys.”

For the complete listing of glossary terms, please refer to poster enclosed.

Side 1: Music for Breaking

1. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five: Wheels of Steel (5:46)
    • Sugarhill Gang: 8th Wonder
    • Furious Five: Birthday Party
    • Spoonie Gee: Monster Jam
    • Chic: Good Times
    • Queen: Another One Bites the Dust
    • Blondie: Rapture
  2. Twilight 22: Electric Kingdom (4:00)
  3. Freeez: Pop Goes My Love (3:52)
  4. B.T. & the City Slickers: Rockit (3:53)
  5. Dazz Band: Joystick (3:54)
  6. 10-Speed: Tour de France (3:52)

Side 2: Break Music & Instructional Rap

1. Alex & the City Crew: Electric Shocks (3:15)
  2. Alex & the City Crew: Space Walk Action (3:20)
  3. Alex & the City Crew: Rap-O-Tition (3:23)
  4. Alex & the City Crew: Scratch Walk (3:12)
  5. Alex & the City Crew: Shake Your Arm Up and Down With the Boogie Speed (3:36)
  6. Alex & the City Crew: Boogie Head (3:03)
  7. Alex & the City Crew: Let Electro Beat Make Your Body Move (3:20)
  8. Michael Holman: The New York City Breakers (2:49)

K-Tel NU 3360

(I found this one going through the record bins at a local Goodwill, and just could not pass it up. Unfortunately, the “detailed poster” was long since gone.)

13 Comments

1. Telo
    Posted April 10, 2009 at 2:51 am | Permalink

I have 36 years old… i recorded my childhood with this record. golden years

2. sergio
    Posted July 30, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

im from mexico great job you upload this songs

3. Anon
    Posted August 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I’m also from Mexico. This album kicks a@#! reminds me of my early teens.

4. Posted October 27, 2009 at 10:37 am | Permalink

This was my FIRST hip-hop record ever…WOW you made my month !

5. Luis Gustavo
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

My friend, This is simply spectacular. I had this LP and it was the best … I’m from Brazil. Congratulations …

6. Jason Beynon
    Posted January 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

damn this is awesome some oldies here I wanna start breakdancing now lol

7. Isaac
    Posted December 9, 2010 at 7:18 am | Permalink

Alex n city crew will live 4ever in ma mind.Very nostalgic sweet vibes n times!

8. Fred Kioko
    Posted January 3, 2011 at 7:26 am | Permalink

I am grateful for this find. Its taken me more than 10 years to find these ALEX and the City Crew tracks. My most humble and sincere thanks for posting this up. I’m from Kenya

9. marco
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Que bueno… yo tuve el cassette… me queda sólo la caratula… la cinta “alguien se la llevó”…. gratos recuerdos… yo también intenté bailar….

10. Miguel
    Posted October 15, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Oye viejo este fue el primer disco que compre en mi vida y lo perdi hace 24 años y mi sorpresa ha sido mayuscula al encontrarme con esta joya que no la podia encontrar por no recordar sus nombres y te agradesco verdaderamente por subir este disco y permitir su descarga….

11. Posted October 25, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

bought this in Jr. High around ‘85…thanks for posting!!!!

12. mark
    Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:46 am | Permalink

used to break to this tape a lot as a kid. played the tape out and found the record a few years ago. good time

13. victor bergoni
    Posted September 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Hola.. excelente aporte.. solo que no encontre el poster con instrucciones para romper. Yo tengo ese poster.. si gustan. saludos !