Tempo TR-608: Ben Light, ‘When Day is Done’/’Cocktails for Two’

Ben Light, Herb Kern, Lloyd Sloop, and Gail Laughton, When Day is Done RECORDED BY DIRECT ELECTRONIC PROCESS

TEMPO
Custom Made Records

UR-104582

WHEN DAY IS DONE (2:46)
(De-Sylva-Katcher)
Opposite Side: Cocktails For Two
Featuring The Lightning Fingers Of
BEN LIGHT At The STEINWAY
HERB KERN At The HAMMOND
Lloyd Sloop At The Novachord
And
Gail Laughton’s Harp

TR-608-A

Ben Light, Herb Kern, Lloyd Sloop, and Gail Laughton, Cocktails for Two RECORDED BY DIRECT ELECTRONIC PROCESS

TEMPO
Custom Made Records

UR-104581

COCKTAILS FOR TWO (2:47)
(Coslow-Johnston)
Opposite Side: When Day Is Done
Featuring The Lightning Fingers Of
BEN LIGHT At The STEINWAY
HERB KERN At The HAMMOND
Lloyd Sloop At The Novachord
And
Gail Laughton’s Harp

TR-608-B

(One of many old 78s in my collection. Dates are approximated as best as possible based on the labels and what information I can find on the ‘net. The sound quality on these is quite variable. I’ve cleaned the worst of the pops and skips as best as I can, but these won’t be anywhere near modern fidelity. Enjoy them for what they are.)

6 Comments

1. Dave Bishop
    Posted January 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks for making these sounds available.

I’m one of the very few who still have a Hammond Novachord. Mine is No. 416, and in the process of restoration. Would you have any other records in your collection that also have the Novachord on the bill? As you may know, Novachords were a common sound because most of the major radio studios had one back in the day, but not so much was recorded and saved. I’m looking for reference works showing how it was used in the late 30’s through the early 60’s. I’m also looking for early Hammond organ recordings.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Dave Bishop

2. Gary Williams
    Posted June 8, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

I have a Tempo record featuring Ben Light, Herb Kern at the Hammond, and Lloyd Sloop at the Novachord. Tunes are “April Showers” and “It was sweet while it lasted.” Will be glad to send digital copies to Mr. Bishop.

3. Liz Benton
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Thru my sister I have been asked to research the value of a 10 record set of first edition #473 Custom Made Albums by Tempo featuring Ben Light at the Steinway/ Joe Venutti & Violin/ Herb Kern. They are owned by an elderly lady she takes care of and that is all I know about them so far. Can you tell me if they have any value. It appears they are 33 1/3 rpms. Thanks you, Liz

4. george parker
    Posted June 12, 2011 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

HELLO AND THANKS FOR YOUR LISTINGS. I FOUND A BUNCH OF THESE OLD VINAL RECORDS AND NOW WONDERING IF SOMEONE WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEM AT THE GOING PRICE WHAT EVER THAT MAY BE? BEST REGARDS, GEO

5. Linda
    Posted January 29, 2012 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

I have a huge collection of oldies. 45’s 33 1/2 and 78. Looking for someone who is knowlegeable about the true value and who may be interested in purchasing. Sample: Tempo Record (78) Smoke gets in your eyes feauring Carl Oserloh Decca Records: (78) Inkspots To each his own RCA Bluebird (78) Blue Champagne Freddy Martin and his Orchestra 33 1/2 Gerry Wallace 2 record Set- There she goes, I love you because. Countr Hits of the 60’s Gentle on my mind, I’ve got a tiger by the tail Wings of a Dove. County Hits 33 - Webb Pierce, Ferlin Husky, Patsy Cline, George Jones, Cowboy Copas, Carl Belew, Hank Locklin, Jimmy Dean, Justin Tub, T.Texas Tyler, Red Sovine, Slim Willet.

Stonewall Jackson - Thoughts of a Lonely Man Best of Jim Reeves

Ray Price Greatest Hits Marty Robbins All Time Greatest Hits Dean Martin and many many more. SERIOUS REPLIES ONLY - Thank You

6. Giovana Iaroz
    Posted February 18, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Hello I have a tempo Ben Light, custom made in color red. I am looking for information about Ben light, and the record label it self. And why is red? Was it custom made to somebody in particular? I am organizing my colection and putting it online, and i like t write some info anout it, but havent quite found, any thought, any help, wil greatlly appreciated. Thanks…..