Links for May 18th through May 20th

This entry was published at least two years ago (originally posted on May 20, 2010). Since that time the information may have become outdated or my beliefs may have changed (in general, assume a more open and liberal current viewpoint). A fuller disclaimer is available.

Sometime between May 18th and May 20th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!

• New Social Networking Site Changing the Way Oh, Christ, Forget It: "According to sources we feel really, really sorry for, Foursquare works by allowing users to 'check in' from their present location, whether it be a bar, restaurant, nearby magazine stand, or man, this piece would be perfect to hand over to that schmuck Dan Fletcher at Time magazine right about now. By 'checking in,' users can earn tangible, real-world rewards. For instance, the Foursquare user with the most points at any given venue earns the designation of 'mayor' and can receive discounts, free food, or other prizes that, quite honestly, we're thoroughly disgusted with ourselves for having actually researched. In addition, please, kill us already."
  • The Ragbag – F(x) = ½X + 7: "it was only yesterday that i realised that the rule of thumb for dating people of different ages (the 'half your age plus 7' rule) determines not only the lower bounds for dating but the upper bounds as well–that for each ½x + 7, there is a corresponding 2(x-7)."
  • Who You Gonna Call?: "For our latest mission, we brought the movie Ghostbusters to life in the reading room of The New York Public Library at 42 Street. The 1984 movie begins with a scene in the very same room, so we figured it was time for the Ghostbusters to make an encore appearance. Enjoy the video first and then go behind-the-scenes with the photos and report below."
  • Article Asking for More Comprehensive Sex Education Cut From Catholic-School Newspaper: "Ryan Dunn, a senior at Bishop Blanchet High School, just spent four months researching and writing an editorial for his school newspaper arguing that more comprehensive sex education should be available on campus. In a move that seems a little psychologically sadistic, Dunn was pressured to cut the article himself after his principal said it might cost some of his favorite teachers their jobs. Dunn was encouraged not to run the story by his principal (Tom Lord) and his journalism teacher (Chris Grasseschi) because Blanchet is already under scrutiny from the archdiocese for being too liberal."
  • The Big Caption: "For your viewing pleasure: THE BIG CAPTION. A compliment to THE BIG PICTURE wherein JOKES and STATEMENTS are made using TYPOGRAPHY."