How Vertigo foreshadowed ‘catfishing’, AI and #MeToo: “Sixty years since it was released, Vertigo resonates powerfully in the age of the internet, virtual reality and artificial intelligence.” Just watched Vertigo again two nights ago, and this article is spot on.
A Landmark Legal Shift Opens Pandora’s Box for DIY Guns: Ugh. Defeating restrictions against 3D printing guns may be legally and technologically interesting, but in my eyes is also ethically and morally reprehensible. This is a disturbing story.
Die Hard at 30: how it remains the quintessential American action movie: “The lesson of Die Hard, however, is that the small, incidental details are just as consequential – and often exactly what’s missing from the films that tried to emulate it.”
Test post. micro.blog cross posting to Facebook stopped working. Seeing if turning it off and on again does the trick. If this shows up on Facebook in a few minutes, I’m good.
Guidelines for Brutalist Web Design. I’m entirely on board with this (and, actually, my current personal website’s design isn’t all that far away from this aesthetic).
Sometime between May 26th and July 11th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
- ALL POSSIBLE RESPONSES TO “THEY SHOULD GET IN LINE AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY, THE WAY MY FAMILY DID,” WITH CITATIONS (ALSO JOKES): TL;dr: there’s a really good chance that at least some portion of your family came to the U.S. without a visa, and the “right way” from 1790–1965 has nothing to do with how things are done now.
- Civility. Some thoughts.: "It's hypocrisy to us because we believe that the behavior is the problem. It's not hypocritical to them because they believe the person is the problem."
- What To Do When ― Not If ― Roe Vanishes: "Now, it is almost certainly a matter of when, not if, we lose Roe. It’s time to prepare for life without nationwide legal abortion." That we have to be thinking seriously about this is incredibly sad.
- Really neat answer to this question about early Star Trek fandom:: “I would love to know more about when you first started thinking that there was more than friendship between Kirk and Spock and when fans first started talking about it. Was it Amok Time that first gave you the idea?”
- Why ‘Solo’ Works: SPOILERS: “A constant supply of ‘Star Wars’ requires an occasional double between dingers. Here’s how the low-stakes origin story of Han Solo makes clean contact.”
The audio from Trump’s bizarre and incoherent “I have no organ, the only musical is the mouth, the brain is much more important” ramble is just begging to be sampled into any number of songs. Just sayin’.