An automatically generated list of links that caught my eye between December 20th and December 26th.
Sometime between December 20th and December 26th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
An automatically generated list of links that caught my eye between June 25th and July 16th.
Sometime between June 25th and July 16th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
An automatically generated list of links that caught my eye between April 19th and April 26th.
Sometime between April 19th and April 26th, I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
- I had a dream about a Star Trek series with a ferengi captain…: …and he was super endearing but it was like…the worst ship in the fleet and it was full of the misfits of starfleet But I loved this captain I loved him who is he // It’s Nog.
- What ‘Snowflakes’ Get Right About Free Speech: 'Free speech' as the ability to say anything you want vs. 'free speech' as the ability for all to participate equally in public discourse. (Summary via @leftoblique on Twitter)
- NorWesCon: Norwescon's page on Fancyclopedia 3. We are the third entry (without camel case).
- Fancyclopedia 3: Fancyclopedia 3 is a collective enterprise of all of fandom. Based on the previous works by Jack Speer (Fancyclopedia 1), Dick Eney (Fancyclopedia 2), and Rich Brown, it is written by fans who want to contribute.
- 5 Things That Don’t Seem Like Mansplaining But Are, Because Playing Devil’s Advocate Doesn’t Enlighten Anyone: By now, you may have heard the term mansplaining — explaining things as a man to a woman with the incorrect assumption that she doesn't understand — and heard of it in its most common forms. But some things that don't seem like mansplaining, but are, may have escaped your attention. Mansplaining, after all, is part of a set of cultural assumptions that place men's opinions above women's, and these assumptions are everywhere.
An automatically generated list of links that caught my eye between 11:01 and 11:37 on March 30th.
Sometime between , I thought this stuff was interesting. You might think so too!
- A Tasting Menu of Female Representation: Several simple guidelines for gauging how well women are presented in media. Bechdel, Mako Mori, Sexy Lamp, Anti-Freeze, Strength is Relative, and Furiosa, and Pizza Night tests. (tags: sexism media film representation bechdel bechdeltest makomori pacificrim sexylamp antifreeze strengthisrelative furiosa madmaxfuryroad mmfr pizzanight )
- Everything is Chemicals: “If you can’t pronounce it, it’s bad for you” is literally the worst pseudo-scientific scaremongering bullshit tactic. I hate it so much. (tags: tumblr health science food chemicals )
- Humans Are Weird: To paraphrase one of my favorite bits of a ‘humans are awesome’ fiction megapost: “you don’t know you’re from a Death World until you leave it.” For a ton of reasons, I really like the idea of Earth being Space Australia. (tags: tumblr sciencefiction sf earth aliens australia humor )
- Old Fandom-New Fandom Dictionary: Definitions for several terms common to fandom; some old, some new. Not remotely comprehensive. (tags: tumblr fandom language glossary )
- Dear Fellow Guys….stop hitting on women at work….: If you’re interacting with a human it’s because you want to interact with a human and you want that human to be nice to you. You are paying for their kindness, for their smiles when their feet hurt and their questions about your day when they haven’t had lunch yet. Flirting with customer service workers at work, asking them out when they’re on the clock and paid to make you happy, telling them you think they’re attractive and expecting a gushing response – that’s breaking the rules. That’s a lose-lose situation that you’ve set them up for. (tags: sexism toxicmasculinity behavior flirting safety tumblr )